Friday, August 31, 2012

Madison Street Beauty - Eye Shadow Primer



As mineral eye shadows become more popular so does the need for primer. Cake or pressed eye shadow usually doesn't need it, but with mineral makeup which is often a loose fine powder or has glitter in it, you want something that is going to help the powder adhere to your eye and smooth it out so that it doesn't clump and cause creases, uneven color or come off easily.

There are dozens if not hundreds of eye shadow primers on the market today. They come in a variety of different formulas. I'm a big fan of mineral eye shadows. I love the feel, the way they last, the brilliant colors and the way they blend. An eye shadow primer can go a long way to making the perfect base for whatever you want to do for your eyes.

I have highly sensitive skin and when I find a product that works, which is difficult. I stick with it even though there is no guarantee it's going to keep working for me. I'd never actually used eye shadow primers before I picked up MSB's primer. I had been using eye shadows for a while, was looking for new colors and stumbled onto their Etsy site.

 I started out purchasing this primer. 

It's actually the first primer I've ever purchased so I didn't exactly know what makes a good eye shadow primer. I did a bit of study on the subject, the internet being the great thing that it is and came up with a list of the things that people look for in a primer.  The elements I found that are most sought after included how well it blended in, how well it worked as a cover up to smooth skin tone and provide a good base to place your eye shadow on. A few other things that were also important were how well it prevented creasing and if it lent anything to creating eye shadow that popped.

Here is what it looks like on my finger with just a little, the normal amount I use and what it looks like on the eye. 




Madison Street Beauty's eye primer works well on preventing creases and does do a good job when it comes to blending. It feels a little oily but it wipes off quickly and has no negative impact on my skin. It's also light weight. It holds a fair amount of eye shadow and does a good job of keeping it there but it isn't a stay put product so if you rub you'll get eye shadow on your fingers it does come off.  

It does hold enough shadow however that at the end of the day you still have to wash your makeup off. It also doesn't leave a build up in the corners or a smear on the side of your face if you rub your eye.
All in all MSB's eye primer is definitely one I'll continue to use and definitely a good introduction to the world of eye shadow primers.

Finally, Here's a picture with me using the primer with MSB's Antique Rose Eye shadow which I'll be reviewing in a later post. 

You can find Madison Street Beauty's eye shadow primer and their whole line at http://www.etsy.com/shop/MadisonStreetBeauty

No comments:

Post a Comment